Blogging vs Youtube: Which is better to make money online in 2022
DISCLOSURE: When you buy through links on my site, I may earn an affiliate commission. This keeps it 100% reader-supported and free of ads or sponsorships. Thank you for your support!
Last Updated on 13th May 2022 by Ajmer Singh
Blogging vs Youtube
Blogging and youtube are both great ways to make money online. But which one is better?
In this blog post, we will compare the two platforms and see which one is better for making money.
We will look at the pros and cons of each platform and see which one comes out on top.
So, if you are thinking about starting a blog or creating a youtube channel, stay tuned – we have all the information you need to make a decision.
While both blogging and youtube are great ways to make money online, many vloggers still think that there is an easier way out.
You would always believe in taking the easy route, of course, more so when you have a family to feed.
However, there are also circumstances where it pays off to be different.
To answer the question about which one is better to make money online – blogging or youtube, we will need to look at their differences and see what sets them apart.
Once you understand these differences, you can easily determine if either of the two is more suitable for your business model.
Before we get down to the nitty-gritty of blogging and youtube, let us first understand why people turn to such platforms.
After all, it will help you determine which platform to use based on your business model.
People go online in search of information about their problems.
They need solutions to these problems and look at different sources -and this is where blogging and youtube come in.
Both platforms allow people to share information and educate others about issues.
Of course, there are differences between blogging and youtube – which we will discuss later – but both of them have one thing in common: content creation.
You need interesting or useful content if you want to attract an audience.
People go to the internet looking for information and they will visit your blog or youtube channel if you have something valuable to offer.
Blogging requires people to start their own website while creating a youtube channel can be done on an existing platform.
So let’s look at the differences between blogging and youtube in detail.
This should help us understand which platform is more suitable for our business model.
Let’s check the pros and cons of Blogging!
1. Blogging offers more control and flexibility than youtube as you own your website domain and can customize it based on your needs.
You don’t have to work with a pre-set template unless you want to.
This makes it a great platform for businesses who want complete control over their online identity, especially those that target a particular niche.
2. There is no limit to the type of content you can create with blogging.
You can even upload documents and spreadsheets if they provide useful information about your product/service.
This means that there are unlimited possibilities when it comes to blogging – you have to determine what works best for your business model.
4. Blogging is cost-effective as you can create a comprehensive online presence within an affordable budget.
However our recommended ones are,
Cloudways for your hosting.
Themify Ultra for the theme.
Bluehost if you are looking for cheap hosting with a free domain.
Particularly if you own the blog yourself or use blogging services that are relatively cheap.
You will also have minimal overheads to worry about as running costs are pretty low.
There is no need for office space or equipment like computers and printers, for instance.
5. Blogging can be a great way to establish your authority in your niche.
And positioning yourself as an expert on the topic brings you a steady stream of referral clients who trust your knowledge and expertise.
You can also network with other bloggers or experts in your field while building a loyal following of subscribers who keep coming back for more information.
The main disadvantage is that having your own website involves higher risks than working with a platform like youtube.
You need to invest money in hosting, theme and domain costs, plus you will have to hire employees or engage contractors for maintenance work.
However, once you establish yourself these one-time costs are not so high.
1) You have to be patient and persistent as building an audience takes time – there is no instant gratification here.
Building a blog following is a long-term process that requires work and commitment, particularly with search engine optimization (SEO).
In some cases, it can take years before your blog attracts enough traffic. Keep in mind that you need to continually generate new content, too.
2) Blogging takes time as you have to create the articles yourself or outsource work to freelancers.
This means that your other business tasks suffer as blogging requires a lot of attention and focus.
If you hire employees, you will have to provide training and guidance and this can be costly.
3) You have to maintain your blog regularly with high-quality content, which is time-consuming and can cause burnout if you do it for too long without a break.
4) There is no guarantee that blogging will work for everyone.
Some people may find that this platform does not offer the right solutions to their business needs.
5) Many people find the whole blogging process daunting at first.
Particularly when it comes to generating original content and building links which are important SEO strategies.
Now, let’s check the pros and cons of Youtube!
1.YouTube has millions of visitors every month.
This platform provides instant exposure to your business as you can upload videos and run ads at the same time.
Without having to wait for users to take an interest in your product or service.
2. YouTube is also great for marketing because it allows you to target specific audiences through keywords, tags and descriptions which will be useful to have when you are seeking promotion through ads.
3. YouTube is free to use so it allows you to take your business online without spending anything on hosting or equipment.
Though it should be noted that there are some fees for promoting your videos which you can read about in the disadvantages section below.
4. There are millions of successful YouTubers who have managed to turn this platform into a job or at least rely on it as another way of generating income.
5. YouTube can be a great tool for networking and making connections with other influencers in your niche.
Who may be open to trading links, promoting each other’s products and services or just sharing general information about a certain topic.
6. The videos can be hosted on YouTube and embedded onto your blog which can help increase traffic as it allows you to combine the best of both worlds.
7. You have the ability to create playlists so you can organize videos by theme or subject matter.
Making it easier for users to find what they are looking for whether it is a tutorial or a product review.
8. There is so much content being uploaded every minute that you can benefit from tapping into this unlimited supply of videos and details about any topic you need for your website.
9. Using YouTube will allow more people to find your business online via search engines.
Such as Google which is the number one way in which people find new websites.
10. You can share your videos on all the main social media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter which will help you reach a wider audience.
1. YouTube is owned by Google so the platform tends to be biassed towards its own network.
You may find that you do not rank as high on YouTube compared with other sites, which means that it will take longer for people to find your content.
2. The cost of using YouTube can add up because you have to pay for promotion through advertising if you want your videos to be seen by more viewers.
3. There is only so much you can do with YouTube because it does not offer as many options or customizations compared with blogging platforms.
4. It can be hard to generate revenue through YouTube because you are relying on the ad revenue compared with other website types which have more diverse income streams.
5. You cannot use YouTube to replace your blog or website, though it can be used in conjunction.
Which may confuse readers who are not seeing an obvious path for navigation to take them from one platform to another.
6. If you want to create playlists and the like then you will need some technical knowledge as it is not as easy as uploading a video onto YouTube.
However, there are many tutorials online which explain the process so it is not impossible to learn.
7. You cannot make money with YouTube unless you are using it in conjunction with another website or business.
Though some people do earn a living by working hard on their videos and getting ad revenue which is split between YouTube and the advertisers.
8. If you create any offensive content then your channel may be taken down without warning which will cause you to lose any subscribers and videos.
So YouTube is good for brand-safe content rather than anything too risky.
9. People do not know what they are looking for on YouTube so it can be hard to convert new viewers into loyal customers or subscribers.
10. Some of the subject matter that is shared on YouTube may be seen as offensive or boring to certain demographics depending on cultural views and sensitivities.
So, these are the advantages and disadvantages of blogging and youtube. Now, what is the verdict?
If you are looking for great reach, high levels of engagement and the opportunity to generate revenues through advertisements, video views and so on, then YouTube may be a better choice than blogging.
However, if you want to create long-form content which offers more in-depth information then blogging will be your best bet.
Of course, you can always use both platforms for your business if you want to maximize your potential audience.
My personal opinion on Blogging vs Youtube!
Youtube has some great things to offer, but I would say that blogging is better, because you are able to engage with your audience better on a blog.
Where the majority of content is long-form and you have more options to monetize it.
So, this is just my opinion on the topic of blogging vs youtube.
FAQS on Youtube vs Blogging!
Q: Which is easier to make money with?
A: It depends on the audience you are targeting.
You can make more money from advertisements and video views if your target market watches a lot of videos online,
Q: Which has better reach?
A: YouTube, because it is easy to share videos with other people.
Q: Which platform has better engagement?
A: It depends on your topic, but blogging is probably better because it offers more content and people can grow addicted to checking for new updates.
Which means they spend more time on your site and there is a greater chance that they will be drawn in by advertising.
Q: Which one makes me money online?
A: If you are targeting individuals who consume a lot of videos then YouTube may be better.
But if you are targeting groups with different interests then blogging is the best platform.
Q: Which one should I focus on?
A: Again, it depends on your target audience.
If they prefer videos then YouTube may be better, but if your market is looking for in-depth articles then blogging will be more suitable.
Q: Which one has more options for monetization?
A: Blogging because you can build your own website and use affiliate marketing, AdSense, sponsor posts etc. to earn profits from it.
Q: Which has better targeting options?
A: YouTube, because you can choose the demographics of who is able to view your videos by setting up different video categories.
Q: Which one is cheaper?
A: This depends on the platform you are using.
If you want to use YouTube then it doesn’t require any monthly fees, but if you want to create a website then it will be more expensive in terms of hosting rates.
Q: Which one is easier to rank for keywords?
Q: Which one can you create a business with?
A: By focusing on blogging if you are looking to build a business online because it offers so many possibilities when compared to YouTube.
Q: Which platform is better for branding?
A: It depends on the topic.
If your blog is about makeup or fashion you can use beautiful visuals to go alongside each post, whereas YouTube does not allow flashy graphics.
However, if you are creating a blog about lifestyle then Youtube might be able to offer more engagement.
Q: Which one has more earning potential?
A: Blogging is better for this because it offers a wider range of options to earn money from your efforts.
Of course, you can always use both platforms if you want to maximize your chances of success.
I’m a big fan of both Youtube and blogging, but the one that makes me more money is blogging.
It’s just easier to monetize with AdSense/Ezoic or affiliate marketing programs because you have control over what content goes on your blog.
Whereas it takes time for videos to get views before making any money from them.
Ultimately though, if you’re looking for quick cash then use Youtube since they pay upfront per video view.
If you want long-term income without too much work, go with blogs!
People also search for: