Last Updated on 22nd September 2021 by Ajmer Singh
Domain vs Web Hosting
Web hosting is the business of housing, keeping safe and pushing out websites over the Internet. They’re basically servers (enormous computers) that store your website files so you can access them from anywhere in the world by typing in your website’s web address.
Domain names are like street addresses: they tell people and computers where to find your website. When you type in a domain name, the Internet figures out where that address is and sends you there.
They are two separate processes that should not be confused with each other.
“Domain is the service you get from a domain name registrar such as GoDaddy, where they host your domain’s DNS records and email forwarders. Hosting is when you rent space on a company’s servers to store your website files and send/receive emails”
Both of these are essential if you plan to create and run a website. Domain names are purchased for various periods of time, depending on the provider. Afterwards, you can purchase an extension in order to renew your registration so that nobody else can register the same name.
Web hosting is when you pay a web host to store your website files and send/receive emails. It’s an optional service, which is why some people use free services such as wordpress.com or blogger to host their website files from a provider that doesn’t provide hosting.”
The basic differences between domain & web hosting include:
- A domain name is bought from a domain registrar, while web hosting is bought from a company that specializes in website hosting, or could be done directly by the user instead of going through a website host if they choose to use free websites like wordpress.com for example.
- The domain name could point to different locations where your files are hosted, while web hosting is more of a one-size-fits-all service that will send your website files to different locations depending on how you set up forwarding.
- A domain name is more about owning the rights to a name and having it point where you want it to go, while web hosting is more about paying for access to files stored by a server that handles lots of other website files as well.
- A domain name is a way to access your website, while web hosting is the actual location where your files are physically stored and sent from.
Thank you for visiting! Hope this answer helps.
Visit our quora space: WordPress for Beginners
Our recommended hosting provider is Cloudways.
Read our full guide: What is the difference between web hosting and domain name?
Ajmer Singh is the Founder & Author of Findmytricks. He is a Passionate Blogger, Content writer & WordPress developer. He loves sharing content related to WordPress and Blogging. He enjoys playing games in his free time.
1. “Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.”
2. “First, learn the rules, then break them”