How to backup your WordPress website with Updraft Plus for free?
Last Updated on 13th January 2022 by Ajmer Singh
Its always recommended to backup your WordPress website before making any changes. Because sometimes your website got crashed and you didn’t found any solution to recover it.
Backing up your website is easy in WordPress. There are two ways you can create a backup for your website.
- From your hosting provider (CPanel – Only if it is available).
- By using a plugin.
But sometimes you need a copy of the backup in your hand in case your hosting expires, they denied to provide backup after your account expired or for some other reason.
So, today we are going to share the process of creating a backup for your WordPress website using the plugin “Updraft Plus”. It is free and simple to use.
How to backup your WordPress website with Updraft Plus
First login to your admin dashboard, click on plugins – add new plugin – Search Updraft Plus – Install – Activate.
After activation, click on settings.
Here you can see some tabs:
- Advanced tools
First of all, you need to open the settings tab before starting to create a backup,
Files backup schedule: Weekly and retain this many scheduled backups: 2
Database backup schedule: Weekly and retain this many scheduled backups: 2
These settings are used to fix the time at which a backup should take place, (e.g. if your server is busy at day and you want to run overnight) and to take incremental backups, or to configure more complex schedules, use UpdraftPlus Premium.
Choose your remote storage: Here you can select your remote storage where you want your backup to be stored. I recommend using google drive, but you can select whatever you want according to your choice.
After selecting the remote storage, you are required to verify it, confirm the verification process and authenticate it.
You can also create your custom storage folder name but for that, you need to purchase their premium.
Include in files backup:
- Plugins: Enable
- Themes: Enable
- Uploads: Enable
- Any other directories found inside wp-content: Enable
Database encryption phrase: Here you can encrypt your database. (For Premium Users Only)
Email: Enable this box to have a basic report sent to your email address.
Expert settings: These are basically advanced settings where you can enable debug mode, delete the local backup, automatic updates, etc. Leave this setting if you don’t know what you are doing.
After done with all the settings here, let’s go to the backup/restore tab,
After done with settings, now open this tab and click on BACKUP NOW. It opens a new tab where they ask to create a backup with some checkboxes,
- Include your database in the backup: Enable – here all WordPress tables will be backed up. (With UpdraftPlus Premium, you can choose to backup non-WordPress tables, backup only specified tables, and backup other databases too.)
- Include your files in the backup: Enable – here you can backup WordPress files containing plugins, themes, uploads, Any other directories found inside wp-content.
- Send this backup to remote storage: Enable – here you can send the backup copy to your selected remote storage, for example, google drive.
- Only allow this backup to be deleted manually: Enable for the first backup.
It will take some time according to your database volume.
When done, you can see that a backup file is there with options like delete, upload/restore, view log etc. You can easily restore your backup with just a single click. You also don’t need to remember the date, the timing of the backup as every backup file already contains the date and time.
You can create a staging site or in normal words a clone site where you can test new things like upgrading to a newer version of PHP, check new version of WordPress, cache plugin settings (some cache plugin conflicts with your WordPress version, minification settings breaks your website) etc.
But you need to buy updraft clone tokens to use this service.
Actually, you don’t need to buy this, you will get a lot of other plugins that will do this work for free. Even some hosting providers have options in their CPanel to create a staging site for testing.
You can check the features here including the difference between free and premium updraft plus. You can also check the full features list, pre-sales FAQs, ask a pre-sales question, support and their other developed plugins.
They also developed a great plugin for database optimization: WP-Optimize(free). Recommended by us to optimize your database.
You don’t need to touch these settings until and unless the plugin conflicts or breaks your website.
Updraft Plus is a great plugin to backup your WordPress website. It can take only a few minutes to create your backup or restore your backup. Just a few settings and you are done.
With their automatic backup option, you can also schedule your backups daily or weekly.
I hope you learn how to backup your WordPress website with the updraft plus plugin.
If you like the article, share it. Comment down if you are facing any issues.
People also search for:
- Rank math plugin settings & Configuration (2022)
- SG SiteGround Optimizer Best Settings For Caching
- WP-Optimize Best Settings Configuration For WordPress(2022)
- Cloudways Breeze Plugin Best Settings For Caching (set up properly)
- Autoptimize Best Settings Configuration For WordPress(2022)
- Wordfence Security Settings For WordPress
- Yoast SEO Plugin Settings For WordPress (Configuration Settings 2022)
Ajmer Singh is the Founder & Author of Findmytricks. He is a Passionate Blogger, Content writer & WordPress developer. He loves sharing content related to WordPress and Blogging. He enjoys playing games in his free time.
CONTACT: [email protected]
1. “Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.”
2. “First, learn the rules, then break them”